WELCOME

Curious about HCG? Doing the protocol yourself? Read about my experiences here.

Monday, August 2, 2010

Prickly Pear Fruit

 UPDATE. Day 19 of VDCD (Very low calorie diet).



I am down over eleven pounds and will be stopping the HCG in about a week (have a trip coming up and want to be on maintenance by then). I have found the protocol fairly easy to do and I am surprised how not hungry I have been. In fact, I opened the refrigerator today and there was nothing I wanted to eat. Yesterday I had leftover fish and an apple for lunch, a snack of cucumber in the afternoon, and then there was nothing I wanted for dinner so I had 3 stalks of celery! Today I have only wanted tea and lemon water with prickly pear juice (not on protocol).

Prickly pear cacti grow all over the desert, which is literally my backyard. Front yard too. During the past week I have spent time each morning picking the ripe prickly pear fruits (with tongs!).
The cacti have large spines and fine, tiny spines called glochids. Although I have been careful, I seem to always end up with a few of those darn little glochids in my fingers….ouch!

I use an easy method to get the juice: I toss the fruits (known as tuna in Spanish) into my Vita Mix with a little water. Then I strain the concoction and end up with a beautifully colored magenta juice. Today I added a few teaspoons to each pitcher of lemon water that I was drinking. The rest of the juice I poured into ice cube trays. My freezer is now stocked with several bags of frozen prickly pear juice in little cubes.

The prickly pear fruit is very healthy and filled with nutrition. It is not on the HCG protocol, however, so I am intentionally limiting the amount I consume. Although I have been adding it to my water, I also had some straight. YUMMY! Well, I guess it ‘s a matter of taste—my daughter didn’t like it at all.

According to many websites, the prickly pear fruit is a rich source of nutrients—magnesium, Vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium, calcium, the amino acid taurine, flavanoids and antioxidants. It helps in maintaining good general health and is supposed to be good for losing weight! If you live in or visit the desert southwest, I hope you will harvest some for yourself.

Here is a list of its benefits and nutritional information from  http://www.drpricklypear.com/power_of_prickly_pear.html
Lower Blood Sugar
Promote Healing
Lower bad (LDL) Cholesterol
Boost the immune system
Lower Triglycerides
Improve Circulation
Improve Brain Function
Create Balance
Fight Free Radical damage
Reduce Inflammation
Increase Platelet function
Detoxify the body
Improve Heart health
Increase Energy and Focus
Reduce the risk for Cancer
Improve Sexual Health
Improve Stamina
Antiviral properties

Prickly Pear Nutritional Information

Serving Size: 149g

Amount Per Serving


Calories 61
Calories from Fat 6


% Daily Value*

Total Fat 1
1% 

Cholesterol 0mg
0% 

Sodium 7mg
0% 

Total Carbohydrate 14g
5% 

Dietary Fiber 5g
21% 

Sugars


Protein 1g


Vitamin A 1%
Vitamin C 35%

Calcium 8%
Iron 2%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Source: PMA's Labeling Facts





No comments:

Post a Comment