WELCOME

Curious about HCG? Doing the protocol yourself? Read about my experiences here.

Friday, October 8, 2010

ROUND 2…and away we go!


I decided to go back onto the HCG to shed another ten pounds or so. This time I am using the RX version, prescribed by my naturopath and purchased at the local compounding pharmacy. I was curious to see if I would notice any differences between this and the homeopathic HCG.

Pounds and Inches, which is Dr. Simeons’ manuscript and details the whole protocol, tells us to gorge for the first two days of taking the drops. That’s scary for some folks, wondering if they start eating high fat and carbs, will they be able to stop. In his manuscript, Dr. Simeons addresses that concern: "Most patients who have been struggling with diets for years and know how rapidly they gain if they let themselves go are very hard to convince of the absolute necessity of gorging for at least two days, and yet this must he insisted upon categorically if the further course of treatment is to run smoothly."

 I chose mostly healthy fats rather than just sugary treats – eggs with cheese fried in butter; a milkshake made with full fat coconut milk, ice cream, and macadamia nuts; fried turkey (esp. the skin); eggplant parmesan; full fat Greek yogurt; rib steak; butter pecan ice cream.
I also had some junk – crème brulee; mini carrot cake with cream cheese frosting; several cups of ice cream – I just made sure it was high fat (rather than high calorie).

The first load day I ate close to 5000 calories, the second was “just” 3200. I gained 6 pounds (the first round I gained 7 pounds with loading and freaked out!). Because the HCG protocol worked so well for me with Round 1, I didn’t freak out this time with the six pound gain. The first loading day I consumed nearly 300 g. of fat and the second day was 226. I certainly made sure my fat stores are well stocked!
It sound like so much fun to be able to gorge; the reality, however, is I felt sick. I had trouble sleeping and in the middle of the night my mouth started watering so bad I thought I was going to vomit. Although I didn’t throw up, I continued to feel nauseous.  

The loading days are important—to replenish the structural fat stores (which we deplete with regular dieting). While loading, though, the HCG already lessens your appetite so I had to push myself to eat. Proper loading (Dr. Simeons referred to it as “force feeding”) results in no or little hunger during the very low calorie diet phase (VLCD) that begins on day three of taking the HCG.

After two days of gorging, I was delighted to not “have to” eat….at least, not very much. My first VLCD – Lunch: 3 oz. cooked langostinos (like shrimp), and a large apple.  Mid day I had 6 stalks of celery. Dinner – skinless chicken breast, 100 g. weighed raw, with 2 cups romaine lettuce and 3 Savory thin rice crackers.  Evening snack was 1 cup of strawberries. I felt very satisfied even though I had only consumed 456 calories.

I continue to eat 500 calories or under on the VLCD. It’s not the calorie count that matters, though, but the specific foods that are specifically listed in Pounds and Inches. I have eliminated my loading day gain and am now about 1 ½ pounds down from where I started. I love that I am burning the abnormal fat and can see more muscle definition.

I feel great. That’s one thing I liked so well about HCG during the first round. In general, my energy is almost always good…and on HCG it is even better. In addition, I have a sense of well-being….life is good.

Since I only want to lose around 10 pounds (I am in a size 6 and a size 4 sounds very enticing), I am planning to do a short round, and the minimum length of time on HCG (and VLCD) is 21 days. Stay tuned…I will keep you posted on my progress!








No comments:

Post a Comment